Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A(nother) Productivity Report .....

As I don't actually use RSS it may be a little difficult to bluff my way through this week's unit .... I did set up the requuired five feeds last year and at least some of them worked.

The filtering of RSS feeds is a logical next step in the battle to survive the information explosion. RSS feeds themselves were an attempt to do this and putting in filters is the next step in sifting out what might be of use - a sieving of the sieve ...... With the emphasis on social networking which characterizes the Web these days, the sharing of RSS feeds along with everything else makes sense. If a set of sites/information is useful to you then it should be useful to others sharing your interests or professional milieu. And if you share your set with others and have the option on theirs in return, then it is more efficient all round.

I had a look at most of the suggested sites. FeedRinse (what an appropriate name!) seemed the best option in that it allowed different types of filters to be set (whereas FeedSift-filters just used keywords) and the home page had lots of information for the starting user.
I think my own computer probably send me enough reminders and Spreed made my eyes sore - I thought it verged on the gimmicky.
The flexibility of having RSS feeds sent to different destinations also makes sense. For instance Twitter seems to have largely replaced the traditional email for some users so RSS to Twitter would be more useful for them.
I checked for Google alerts today and there were another dozen, mainly to do with Weddin Shire. Somehow I need to establish "Grenfell Public Library" as a string because I got a couple of alerts with the words separated by other terms and hence not relevant.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Although you don't use RSS it is great that you had a look at the tools and set up a few Google alerts.

Ellen (PLS)