Thursday, March 13, 2008

The first 'toe in the water' .....

Good morning, all ...
I feel that this is an historic moment - the very first blog posting of an IT nitwit. I'm not sure whether to thank the State Library's Web.2 training programme or not .... No, seriously, thank you (or should that be thanx?) for clear instructions that even I could follow.
Progress to date. I listened to Stephen Fry and thought his presentaton gave a whole new dimension to the term NOW generation. I watched the set short video on Web 2.0 - in fact I had to watch it three times because of the speed with which the key ideas were delivered, very much in keeping with an audience accustomed to the 30 second grab. To me the content was a case of style over substance, relying on technology to communicate but superficial, consisting of a set of bold statements wthout analysis or assessment.
However looking at the sample blogs this week was a pleasant surprise. Without ever having actually seen a blog before I had a preconceived attitude based on the personal blog concept which to me is narcissism gone mad. But now I recognize that a blog as an online forum or discussion zone like the Alternative Teen Services example or regular information service like the Southern Tablelands History Matters site has considerable professional potential. My immediate reaction to the Alternative Teen Services blog was how useful something similar would be in the Regional or Co-operative Library setup where it would be akin to an ongoing staff meeting allowing the immedate exchange of information, insights and concerns without the constraints of travel (both time and expense), time and the old 'brightest-idea-on-the-way-home' phenomena. However involvement in multile blogs would be impractical due to the time factor, risking the substitution of professional development, even personal enjoyment, for provision of service.
Some thoughts on Learning 2.0 .... At last I have an understanding of 2.0 as a context - a second stage in the IT information revolution. At my age and stage (approaching retirement) and in my work context (a small rural library) I may never use it but at least I'll have a basic understanding of key aspects of it and familiarity with the terminology, some appreciation of its applications, and can be happy to know I 'dipped my toe in the information revolution water' to the extent of posting a blog! But I suspect first and foremost doing (attempting?) the course involves for me satisfying personal curisoty and confronting a challenge - after all I'm someone who doesn't own a mobile phone and has never played a CD!!!
Lifelong learning meets personal needs but has most practical value where the work context, both in terms of expectations, task parameters and available technologies/tools is changing. And this is very true of librarianship!
Good luck to anyone else doing the course who may read this .....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You seem to have a good idea about Learning 2.0 etc and what it entails. Like you said i think it is important to at least know about/experience technologies like these, even if you won't use them regularly.Good luck to you too!

THANX or Thanks. Anything goes in this place!