Tuesday, June 15, 2010

On the Wild Side ....

Everyone who interacts with the Internet will have been subject to scams and phishing attempts. I won't open emails or attachments unless I know the sender (too bad about the useful things I miss...) and have anti-virus software and various firewalls as installed by my computer technician.
I had a message appear on my screen one day saying that my computer was under virus attack and I should download a protective package. Thankfully I remembered about never opening something I hadn't asked for or knew the provenance of and consulted the technician. I got a lecture about how all such messages were avenues to virus infection and I should just ignore them, but at least I hadn't clicked on the attachment and so no harm resulted. It was just after I had downloaded a poem from a site for a client and the suggestion is that that left my computer vulnerable. But it is hard - the poem was the answer to a legitimate reference enquiry.

No comments: